Sunday, February 13, 2011

What have we been doing? Studying!

Why haven't we been blogging? It's primarily because of we've been studying so much!  We thought we should share with y'all this semester's course load. Click the read more link below to read about our school semesters...



Sean - for y'all who don't know I am a junior Kinesiology (Health Promotion) major and Religious Studies minor at The University of Texas.  This semester I'm doing mostly classes in the liberal arts college for University requirements and for my Religious Studies minor.  It's a difficult semester because there is so much reading that I have to do!  The classes: Historical and Ethical Issues in Sport, African-American culture, British Literature, Revelation and Apocalyptic Literature, and The Bible and It's Interpreters. So far the class I am enjoying is the "Bible and It's Interpreters" class.  For y'all who are wondering, UT does not teach religion from the perspective of a "believer" within the religion, instead from an academic/critical perspective.  So these two Religious Studies classes are not anything like taking a Sunday School class or a Bible class at a Bible college or seminary.  The religious studies aspect of my degree is primarily to equip me to understand religions from an academic perspective and not to necessarily gain deeper theological knowledge.  I have also taken "History of Religions in Asia" and "Judaism, Christianity, and Islam." For those of you wondering what a "Health Promotion" degree is, it is similar to a public health degree with an emphasis on exercise.  I should be graduating May 2012.

Jenna - I am finishing up prerequisites for a nursing degree! I applied in January to the School of Nursing at Texas State University. The campus for the School of Nursing is actually in Round Rock, not San Marcos. I should find out by March 11 if I have been conditionally admitted to the Nursing program. The program is a total of five semesters (two normal school years and one summer semester). This semester I'm taking: British Literature: 18th Century to Present, Introduction to the Visual Arts, United States History II, and Weight Training I. So far I've enjoyed British Literature and Weight Training. British Literature is a distance course, so it's mainly online. We have already read many poems from the Romantic Period including: Williams Blake, William Wordsworth, P.B. Shelley, and "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen. Weight Training has been fun because I get to take it with Katie Warren! She's an awesome lifting partner. Our instructor puts us through brutal warm-ups that focus on abs, then we head to the weight room to pump some iron. I should be graduating in May 2013 from Texas State.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting about your classes. Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete